Splits and divorces aren't exactly a rare occurrence in the drama-filled world of celebrity. But 2011 seemed to be an especially bad year for famous relationships. With all the shocking splits that have gone down, Hollywire has compiled a countdown .... from the most surprising to the least shocking.
We've got everything from a 72-day marriage (guess who!) to unexpected endings of long-term couples. Here's our list!!
14) Scarlett Johansson and Ryan Reynolds: This super hot couple actually split a year ago in December 2010, but their divorce wasn't finalized until this past summer in July. The divorce ended a two year marriage. Considering Ryan and ScarJo were such a private couple, we totally didn't see this one coming! On top of that, the former couple purchased a home together in Los Angeles just months before announcing their split. Not to worry, though -- both have moved on! Reynolds had a brief stint with Charlize Theron this summer and is currently happily dating Blake Lively, while Johansson dated Sean Penn last spring.
13) Ashlee Simpson and Pete Wentz divorced after two-and-a-half years of marriage in February of this year. Simpson filed for the separation citing "irreconcilable differences," shocking her rocker husband, who was reportedly planning Valentine's Day with his wife when the divorce papers came. Fortunately, the former couple has stayed close in order to care for their 3-year-old son Bronx, but both halves of this duo have also moved on from their split! Wentz has recently been dating Meagan Camper, while Simpson has had no problem packing on the PDA with her new beau Vincent Piazza.
12) The most adorably indie married couple Zooey Deschanel and Ben Gibbard called it quits just a few weeks ago in November. The separation announcement came as a major shock, considering how in love these two seemed just before their breakup. In an interview just this past September, Death Cab For Cutie frontman, Gibbard, could not stop gushing about his wife. It looks like their mutual love for music, which is what connected this duo in the first place, just wasn't enough to keep them together!
11) Minka Kelly and Derek Jeter remained very low key for the three years they dated, but it was still a shock to see this happy relationship come to an end in August this year. Their split surprised us, especially considering Kelly had just been on-hand during several New York Yankees' games over the summer to cheer on her man. Besides that, during the couple's three year relationship there were even some engagement rumors! It wasn't the brightest fall for the gorgeous actress, whose new show Charlie's Angels has already been canceled by ABC.
10) Lauren Conrad's romantic life was perpetually in the spotlight while starring on her reality show The Hills, but that all changed in 2008 when she quit the show and began dating Kyle Howard. Although it looked like LC finally found love, the seemingly happy couple split at the end of June, although there were rumors that they would be getting engaged last Jaunary. Lucky for Conrad, she seems to have moved on juuuuust fine! Since the break-up, she's been linked to dancing pro Derek Hough and more recently to Glee's Cory Monteith! Plus, her new clothing line has been a hit and on the business end of things, she's doing better than ever!
9) Cameron Diaz has dated her fair share of celebrity hotties, but since 2009 she has been on-again off-again with New York Yankee Alex Rodiguez. However, the super-toned couple decided to end things for good in September 2011 when they broke up. The breakup was reportedly due to the duo's busy schedules, although the New York Post reported that Rodriguez had been trying to get out of the relationship for a while. Despite all the super sexy vacations this couple took during their time together, we're not too surprised about this one, considering there were several breakup rumors surrounding them throughout their whole relationship -- and both have known to be players (not just in baseball).
8) Ali Fedotowksy got engaged to Roberto Martinez after selecting him as her choice in the final rose ceremony of Season 6 of The Bachelorette in 2010. Unfortunately, the couple's televised fairytale romance came to an end just a few weeks ago at the end of November, when they called off the engagement and officially announced their split. Signs of turbulence for this relationship began over the summer, when the couple postponed their weddings because of Ali's knee surgery. The couple again announced they would be putting their wedding on hold in October before officially ending things a month later. Fedotowsky recently opened up about the split, saying the duo had been having problems for a while.
7) News of a split for Kate Bosworth and Alexander Skarsgard came at the end of July, although a source confirmed to Us Weekly that the breakup actually happened well before that. The True Blood hottie started dating Bosworth after they met on the set of their flick Straw Dogs, but after two years together, the fairly private couple ended their relationship. However, the source also said that the breakup was mutual and friendly, so it looks like there's no hard feelings on this one. I have to wonder though how awkward the Straw Dogs promo and premiere were this fall!
6) Joe Jonas and Ashley Greene were totally in love for about a year before their breakup went public in March 2011. Apparently the pair had been said been broken up for WEEKS before news broke of the split -- during which time they were still photographed together! Hmm, could publicity have had anything to do with their extended romance? Unlike his breakup from country star Taylor Swift, a source confirmed that this time, Jonas' breakup was "mutual and amicable." Since then, both halves of this super hot couple have seemed to move on. Greene was rumored to be dating Jared Followill immediately following the breakup, and recently has been more seriously dating Spiderman: Turn off the Dark star Reeve Carney. Although Jonas has made amends with exes Swift and Demi Lovato, he was spotted cozying up to model Sky Ferreira in the fall.
5) We can't say we were all too surprised when Jennifer Lopez and Marc Anthony announced they would be ending their marriage of seven years. There had been rumors of a split earlier in this couple's marriage, but Lopez always brushed off the rumors and insisted she, Anthony, and their young twins were a perfectly happy family. Luckily, these two have been able to keep things amicable enough to continue working on their reality show and clothing line together. However, Lopez has been the one to move on first from this divorce (after all...she's had some practice being that this is her third)! She has been dating her MUCH younger, 24-year-old back-up dancer Casper Smart for the past month or so.
4) Another end to a longtime marriage occurred in November when Demi Moore officially announced her divorce to Ashton Kutcher after six years of marriage! But the writing was on the wall for this couple. Turmoil began at the end of September on their wedding anniversary when Kutcher allegedly had an affair with Sara Leal, whom he had reportedly told that he was already separated from Demi. After the allegations came out, Kutcher seemingly denied the claims by tweeting, "Don't Believe the Hype", but it looks like after a few months of counseling and therapy finally brought out the truth because Demi filed for divorce in November. While they were one of the biggest power couples in Hollywood, we can't say that we didn't say the cracks in the facade.
3) Super private couple Bradley Cooper and Renee Zellweger ended their almost two-year relationship in March. Although a split between these two who were seemingly going strong was sudden, it isn't all too surprising considering how coy they had been since the beginning of their relationship in Summer 2009. Although Zellweger has continued to remain private since the split, People's Sexiest Man Alive Cooper has certainly been getting around! He was first seen flirting with Olivia Wilde at a Hangover Part II premiere party, and then he was even linked to Jennifer Lopez for a short stint.
2) Well we could have told you how this story would end. The couple was engaged back in 2004, but broke up a few years later after Law publicly apologized for cheating on his fiance with his children's nanny! But then five years later, they gave it another go -- only to break up for the second time in February. This time, the breakup came after a totally hot and heavy reconciliation. The duo had no problem packing on the PDA when they got back together, but hot makeouts generally don't translate to happily ever after.
1) It's no surprise which breakup in 2011 tops our list (HINT - it was also a 2011 marriage)! Kim Kardashian and Kris Humphries, of course! Humphries claimes he was totally blindsided when Kardashian filed for divorce from him after they were only married for 72 days back in October. However, after seeing how hard it was for the couple to get along on the E! reality show Keeping Up WIth the Kardashians, we have to say, we weren't too surprised! The entire Kardashian-Humphries relationship was a whirlwind, lasting less than a year from when they met, so it wasn't too shocking that they didn't have enough time to get to know each other. To make this separation even more amplified, Humphries recently announced that he would be seeking an annulment of their marriage. Sorry, Kim -- it looks like hasty marriages only work for your little sis!
Which breakup did you find the most shocking in 2011!?
Photos Courtesy of: Fame Pictures & Pacific Coast News