Following in the footsteps of co-star Christian Bale and director Chris Nolan, The Dark Knight Rises star Anne Hathaway has commented on the tragic shooting in a Colorado theater during a screening of the movie last Friday.

The actress released a statement according to TMZ that said, "My heart aches and breaks for the lives taken and altered by this unfathomably senseless act.  I am at a loss for words how to express my sorrow.  My thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families."

Anne Hathaway at 'The Dark Knight Rises' Europe premiere, July 2012

Related Article: 'Who Rocked the Red Carpet Best at 'Dark Knight Rises' Premiere?

Christian also released a statement over the weekend that said, "Words cannot express the horror that I feel. I cannot begin to truly understand the pain and grief of the victims and their loved ones, but my heart goes out to them." Meanwhile, Chris called the actions of alleged shooter James Holmes "senseless" and "savage."

12 people were killed and 59 others were injured in the shooting that took place at a midnight screening of the movie on Friday. James allegedly threw asmoke bomb into the audience while wearing a gas mask and before opening fire on the crowd from the front of the theater. Since then, the Paris premiere of The Dark Knight Rises has been cancelled and Warner Bros. is pulling all TV and radio spots promoting the movie for the next few days.

What are your thoughts on this terrible tragedy?

Photos courtesy of Getty Images